Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Air Drying Your Laundry

Here is another easy and sustainable habit you can get into, despite weather you live on or off campus.
I started air drying my laundry last year when I lived in Lee Hall. You would think that in our tiny room there would not be enough space to hang up all my clothes, but I used every square inch we had: bunk bed tiers, door corners, bed posts, and my favorite, staggering my open drawers and using those and drying plateaus.
For smaller items I would just hang them around the rim of my laundry basket. A drying rack also gives you a lot of surface area w/o taking up a lot of space. Now that I live off campus, I dry my larger items (like towels and small rugs/bath mats) on the edge of our balcony. When you do your laundry at night and leave it out to dry, it will usually be dry in 24 hours.
The way I figure it, you can't wear all the clothes you're washing the day after you wash them, so why not just air dry them, it saves you money as well as electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment